1 pkg. Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix
1/2 Cup all-purpose Flour
1 T cocoa powder
3 large eggs
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup buttermilk
10 peppermint candies – I used these
2 cans Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Frosting Starter
3 packets Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Peppermint Stick Flavor Mix
40 lollipop sticks
1. Preheat oven 350 degree oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
2. Mix Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix, flour, eggs vegetable oil, cocoa, water and buttermilk
3. using a tablespoon (I used a mini scooper) scoop a small amount of batter onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Put no more than 6-8 on a sheet pan, as the batter will spread. Make them to the size you desire
4. Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool completely. I refrigerated them here for about 30 minutes to make them easier to work with (less sticky)
5. Pour 1 packet of Duncan Hines Frosting creations Peppermint Stick into 1 can of Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Frosting Starter. Stir until evenly blended. Repeat with the second can and packet.
6. Spread 1 tablespoon of the Peppermint Stick frosting on the the flat sides of half of the whoopee pies and top with remaining pies.
7. Put peppermints in a plastic bag, or food processor, crush into a fine dust. Place in a shallow bowl.
8. Run the whoopee pie edges through the peppermint dust, creating a nice layer along the outer edge of the whoopee.
9. Insert lollipop sticks half way into pie, or where it feels most secure. Refrigerate to set.